georgiabell330

All Good Things

Writer, reader and navel gazer. Huge fan of YA and paranormal romance. Writing is important, but an exciting story and well-developed characters will win me over every time. Unbound is my debut novel in the series All Good Things.

Smut and Slut Shaming Abound

The Edge of Never  - J.A. Redmerski

I'm stingy with stars. My ratings typically reflect my overall enjoyment level, rather than the quality of the writing, or the merits of the story. This means that depending on my mood, I can get swept away by a great storyline with sh-tty writing, or fall in love with a character or a couple who sometimes act in ways I don't connect with. Or I might just be in the mood for a good trashy way to escape my own experiences. Books that receive a solid five stars work on every level, whereas books around a two or three mean that some things weren't happening for me.

The Edge of Never didn't work for me overall, but it had a few of the things I really like in a romance. First, I thought Cam and Andrew had good chemistry that developed over time and their relationship felt genuine. I liked some of the banter between them and how she was able to hold her own. I also love me some good smut and TheEdge of Never delivered. Well, sort of. Perhaps Cam's sexual awakening felt a bit forced or Andrew's insistence on "owning" more like a plot device, but there was some heat I could appreciate. I had more of a problem with the slut-shaming that seemed rampant throughout the storyline and the inherent double standard about "slutty girls" who sleep around. The mixed message I took away was"Say what you feel" and "Own your sexuality" BUT "Only within these defined limits of what is not slutty." God forbid a girl's sexual appetites fall outside of her partner's parameters.

On the negative side, the writing wasn't strong (particularly the first few chapters) and the dual POV felt awkward and repetitive, at times. Cam's relationship with her BFF was perplexing to me. I couldn't understand why this person was her friend and not just because of the incident on the roof. She just didn't seem like a likeable person or a particularly supportive friend. And I got bored. Near the end, I felt like the story dragged and I started to skim until I ran into a couple of WTF events that felt like "okay - let's wrap this up. Ending's coming".

Final verdict: Nice chemistry and some good character development with some flaws that kept me from really sinking into the story.